In Roman age, Rubiana was a trade transit point. The first time Rubiana was mentioned is in medieval age when its name appears in Abbazia di San Giusto di Susa assets. This abbey was founded in 1029 by marquis Olderico Manfredi and Asti bishop Alarico. From 1414 to 1786 Susa’s monks dominated Rubiana and then the abbey was abolished.
The village history evolves without noticeable events until World War II. At this time the battle against fascism in the area is tenacious and 33 partisans are killed. A memorial and an historical documentation center have been erected at Colle del Lys being a landmark for all of Turin’s western area.
Honorary citizenship has been granted to the painter Francesco Tabusso (1930-2012). He had selected Rubiana as his favorite retreat, the ideal place where to nurture his naturalistic interests which associated with his painting. Due to war events, his family moved to the grandfather’s villa in Rubiana where it was involved in partisan fight events. Here Francesco begins to draw and later on to paint developing his very personal style, influenced by the Rubiana scenery, its people and nature. He donates to the citizenry the Pilone di San Pietro and the Santuario della Madonna della Bassa apse frescoes. Most important of all he is, with the cooperation of nine other eminent artists, the “Fiabe e Boschi” creator. This is an open-air itinerary, a cultural project to put boys and girls in contact with graphic arts knowledge and practice, the final purpose being to become familiar and to appreciate paintings. The project is an art gallery spread over the territory, where to find extraordinary visions and sensations of our village.