The origins of the church date back to 1200. In the past the church stood just outside the walls of the town. It was dedicated to the Apostles James and Philip and was the seat of the Brotherhood of the Disciplines of the Holy Cross, whose members offered assistance to the sick.
The hospital activity ended in 1660 and from that moment the church was embellished with lunette windows and the construction of a bell tower and new facade. The presbytery was raised to accomodate the main altar. At present the church has friezes on the outer walls in Gothic style.
The portal, now walled up, once led to the hospital. Nothing remains of the original church. Inside there are numerous paintings, an 18th century cross and a wooden statue of The Risen Christ, which is carried in procession through the streets of Lanzo during religious festivities.