Groscavallo and its many hamlets extend to the end of Val Grande where the Uja di Ciamarella, Uja di Gura and eastern Levanne majestic summits stand out.
The name’s origin is not sure. According to some academics, it could originate from the Celtic words graus and wald, since the first inhabitants of the territory were Celts and Ligurian. Others believe the name’s orgin is in the Latin words grossa vallis, that is Valle Grande.
From a document dating from the XIVth century it is known that a Count of the Savoy Family granted a stronghold as feud to the Amedeo and Reinardo Gonterio brothers. Groscavallo is also named among the properties passed from Monastero di San Mauro Pulcherada to the Count of Savoy. Copper, iron and silver mining activities started to develop. The Savoy members so as to destroy castles and fortresses recruited groups of miners. The territory became the land of mines and skilled miners whose fame was not only known in the Lanzo Valleys but throughout the whole Savoy Duchy. This activity was brought on from the XIVth to the XVIIth century, after which agriculture and farming, mainly made up of sheeps, took place. During the first half of the XVIIIth century, due to splitting up of Lanzo Castle’s properties, the feuds of Bonzo, Groscavallo and Forno were granted as count property respectively to Bernardino Valfrè of Bra, G. Antonio Cavalleri and Giuseppe Dalmazio. In 1927 the territories of the three villages were consolidated in Groscavallo Town Hall.