The Sanctuary of the Madonna of the Martyrs

Santuario della Madonna dei Martiri

This architectural complex dedicated to the Madonna of the Martyrs stands in an area rich in remains of Roman origin.
The original building was built between the end of the 10th century and the beginning of the 11th century.
The present church and the buildings connected to it were rebuilt at the beginning of the 18th century following the wish of the Archdeacon of Turin Giovanni Battista Biancardi.
The work was completed in 1716.
The pastoral visits of the 18th century record the particular appreciation of the visitors, which confirms the excellent condtion of the ornaments in stucco and the workmanship of the
The restoration work done in the 18th century was carried out following the original style, whereas those carried out in the 1980s significantly altered the interior and the facade of the church.
The architectural complex is composed of a chapel, bell tower, sacresty and living space. It is in the centre of a green area limited by a stone wall and flanked by the old road which connected Balangero with Lanzo Torinese.
From the outside the impression is of a rigidly rectangular structure, while the inside is softened by curvilinear elements.


Suggested period
Opening period
Starting point
Situato lungo l'antica strada che metteva in collegamento Balangero e Lanzo Torinese, ora parte della pista ciclabile. Attualmente in corso di restauro, il Santuario non è visitabile.

Recommended for

  • Everybody


From the center of Balangero, follow the road that leads to Coassolo Torinese.
Proceeding along the main road, before taking the climb, turn left.
Follow the signs “Sanctuary of the Madonna of the Martyrs”.
It is possible to park along the fence of the Sanctuary.